Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Totally handmade!

I want to share a small personal victory - I made a scarf from my own handspun yarn!
And it is such a cool feeling to have done this. :D


First, I spun up a variegated single yarn from several sources: alpaca, merino wool and of all things - yak fiber! The dark brown fibers are a blend of yak and alpaca. The teal is alpaca. The rest is merino wool.


Then I took some undyed, white merino wool and dyed it a "chartreuse" color.
Dyeing in a crock pot:


Dried, freshly dyed wool, ready to spin:


I spun the newly dyed wool....


....then plied it together with the first batch of spun single yarn:


And I used the finished yarn to knit the scarf!




This was a very satisfying and fun project. I can't wait to try knitting something from my own handspun yarn again.

No comments:

Post a Comment