Monday, February 14, 2011

Essential media for every person

I've figured out what I want to use this blog for: to keep track of my quest to live more sustainably.

To that end, I will begin by posting links to the various resources that I think contain essential information for anyone interested in why a sustainable lifestyle is important. This is super easy - just take a nice long afternoon and watch movies. That's all. For me, this time came recently as I've been sick at home with nothing to do....so I started to follow a discussion board conversation about "Peak Oil," and found all of these videos after searching online from keywords I found in those readings.

To start your education, watch these videos (I am listing them in the order I think they are important to watch, YMMV). I am listing titles and in some cases, links. It is up to you to find the video on NetFlix, YouTube or whatever other source you have for media. (All videos are available either on NetFlix or on the websites I link.)


1)Collapse:
http://www.collapsenet.com/free-resources/collapse-dvd-reviews
You can find the documentary Collapse on YouTube or via streaming media on Netflix.
IMO, this is the foundational primer video that explains, in the most concise way I've seen so far, what is going on in the world. Everything else I will post builds on this topic, fleshes it out and adds more detail so that you will get a comprehensive view of what is going on.

2)The Future of Food - This documentary explains why genetically modified foods are dangerous to our way of life and our economy. Essential viewing, IMHO!!

3)Tapped - the importance of our fresh water resources, how they are being exploited and some really thought-provoking information. If you can watch this documentary and ever buy bottled water again, then I can't help ya.

4) Crash Course - http://www.chrismartenson.com/
This is a rather long presentation (though you can find a shorter version of it on the website also) that goes into deeper detail about everything mentioned in Collapse.
This website also has a TON of useful information about what to do and lots of resources for you to pursue, once you have watched these videos and are now shitting your pants, freaking out about the future we have created for ourselves.

5) Radically Simple - this film gives you a good view into what sustainable living may actually look like.

In future posts, I will begin to outline the steps I am personally taking to "change the course of the Titanic" (e.g. my life) and hopefully steer myself clear of any future icebergs!

No comments:

Post a Comment